A Great Event for Riding with Friends!
The Epic 8 Hour Mountain Bike Relay is all about the camaraderie, sportsmanship and the gritty, hard-core enjoyment of riding with friends. The Epic 8 Hour relay is a personal or team challenge to complete as many laps as possible. Whether riding just for fun, or vying for a podium spot in your category, the Epic 8 Hour will be a memorable experience. Using Ontario’s premier Mountain Bike destinations and trails, the Epic 8 Hour promises the best in facilities, fun, varied courses, and support for riders.
What is the Epic 8 Hour?
The Epic 8 Hour takes place over an 8 hour time frame on a 10 km course which starts and finishes at the same location. The object is not to finish first, but to complete the greatest number of laps before the end of the event. There is a Solo category for the hard cores, but most people do it as a (2 person, 3-4 person, or 5-6 person) team. Only one member of the team is on the course at any one time. In other words you take turns riding.
Why do an Epic 8 Hour?
There are several reasons why its’ more fun than a conventional race.
Because the race is defined by time, not distance, nobody finishes “last”. All riders finish the race at about the same time. Slower riders can ride at their own pace without feeling like they are “holding up” anyone. Faster riders who want a good workout can put in more laps and ride more distance.
In a conventional race, most of us never see the faster riders after the start line, and never see them in action at all. In an Epic 8 Hour, most of us will get passed by faster riders at some point. These “fast guys and girls” are inspiring to watch, and it’s a good chance to see how skillfully these talented athletes negotiate the course.
When your team-mate is out riding, you get to relax, hang out with friends at the start/finish area, and watch the progress of the other teams.
“Enduro and Team Relay races are credited with the revival of mountain bike racing in recent years, mainly as a result of their participation and festival nature”.
So if you have never participated in an Epic 8 Hour, it’s a good chance to give it a try, challenge yourself, meet some other riders, and celebrate our sport!
The Epic 8 Hour courses are approx. 10 km, comprised of some of the most fun, flowy and rolling trails. The courses have a good selection of challenges, but will not be overly technical for newer riders. The courses for all the events are completely different, and have a very different feel.
The Epic 8 Hour Relay is timed using the Zone 4 GO Chip Timing system, to ensure accurate and instantaneous results available in real time on your cellular device.
Epic Kids Ride:
The Epic Kids Ride is designed to provide the little ones with a special event just for them, and include them in a fun day for the whole family. This is a fun oriented, non-competitive event, where the kids are challenged to ride as many laps as possible within the 15 minute time limit. The Epic Kids Ride is open to all young riders age 10 and under, so there’s no excuse for them not to give it a try.
Registration for Epic Kids is available onsite for $10.00 cash and includes a number plate and fun prizes for participation.
What does my entry include?
• Bike Plate that can be personalized with team name.
• Fall Epic 8 Hour T-shirt at special Early Discount for pre-orders.
• Awards for the top three solo and teams in each category.
• Special Solo 100 km Pin for all Solo riders completing 100 km.
• Trek Bicycle Store and other Draw Prizes.
• Awesome race course on some of Ontario’s best trails.
• Zone 4 Go Chip Timing for instantaneous results.
• Sanctioning by Ontario Cycling Association.
Head to the link provided to register for this event.
Schedule of Events:
• Wednesday Aug 31 – Deadline for Early Entry Discount.
• Wednesday Sept 7 – Deadline for Pre-Order T-shirt for race day pickup.
• Saturday, Sept 17 – Last chance registration to get Team Name on Customized Number Plate.
• Wednesday, Sept 21– Entry deadline at midnight!
• Friday, Sept 23 – 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm – Early Check in and Package Pick-up.
Note: Team Captain or designate do the package pick-up for the whole team. We encourage you to do this Friday night to avoid the rush Saturday morning.
• Saturday, Sept 24
7:30 am – 9:45 am – Check in and Package Pick-up.
9:30 am – Team Captains Meeting.
10:00 am – Epic 8 Hour Relay.
2:00 pm – Epic Kid’s Ride.
5:30 pm – Course Closed, no new riders on course.
6:00 pm – Last rider to count.
6:15 pm – Awards and Draw Prizes.
How do I Enter?
Each rider needs to be registered individually. Team captains may enter a team of riders, but each person must complete online Smart Waiver for entry to be finalized.
Ensure the “Team Name” is consistent when riders are entering.
In case of a last minute emergency, you can still change your team rosters 24 hrs before the event. email: glenn “at” pulseracing.ca
NOTE: No Day-of Entry – FINAL Entry Deadline – Wednesday Sept 21 at midnight.
Corporate Teams – Special Corporate Team Pit Areas, Guided pre-rides, Lessons, and Bike Rentals all available to help you build a team of co-workers. email glenn “at” pulseracing.ca for more info.
Epic 8 Hour Categories
Solo – A personal challenge for one rider to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours.
• categories: Male 39 & under / Male 40-49 / Male 50+ / SingleSpeed / Female 49 & under / Female 50+
• entry fee: $102.00 *early entry $94.00
NOTE: There is a Limit of 75 Solo riders. Minimum age for Solo riders is 16 yrs
2 Person Relay Team – Two riders alternate laps, tag team style, to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap
• categories: Open combined age 69 & under / Open combined age 70-99 / Open combined age 100 & over /Female / Mixed 1M1F
• entry fee/person: $91.00 *early entry $84.00
3-4 Person Relay Team – A team of up to 4 riders alternate laps, relay style, to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap. Lap order may change at the team discretion. Team category is based on the total combined age of 4 riders (or 4 times the average age of 3 riders)
• categories: Open combined age 79 & under / Open combined age 80 – 119 / Open combined age 120 – 159 / Open combined age 160 – 199 / Open combined age 200 & over / All Female / Mixed 2M2F combined age 139 & under / Mixed 2M2F combined age 140 & over
• entry fee/person: $76.00 *early bird entry $70.00
5-6 Person Relay Team – A team of up to 6 riders alternate laps, relay style, to complete as many laps as possible in 8 hours. Each rider must complete at least one lap. Lap order may change at the team discretion.
• categories: Open (any club, team, or group of friends) / Corporate (any group of riders from a company)
• entry fee/person: $71.00 *early bird entry $65.00
*Early entry until Sept 3 at midnight.
Epic Kids – A fun 15 minute mini version of the adult event. Kids do multiple laps of short fun kids course. Fun prizes for all participants. No pre-registration required. Just enter on event day by 1:00 pm.
• categories: Open ages 10 yrs & under
• entry fee: $10.00 cash on event day, includes tax.
Package Pick Up
The team captain should show up early to pick up the race package for their teams on Friday or early Saturday.
You will pick up your number plates, souvenir and make sure all the team information we have is correct. This is a pretty simple process and it will be your job to pass out the number plates to the rest of your team mates. The event site isn’t huge so finding your team mates shouldn’t be a problem.
All Team members must have completed online the SmartWaiver before team captain can pick up the race package.